Saturday, July 21, 2007

Monsoon masti anyone?

Fifth year has finally hit me, and I intend on really living it up these last two semesters. Old people at IIT end up doing some pretty strange things. Like reviving their long-forgotten blogs!

Bombay is as green and beautiful as ever, and I'm itching to grab my backpack and make a dash for the Sahyadris. Interesting company is hard to find though, so hopefully this fantabulous quote from Steven Van Matre's "Earth Speaks" will inspire my working batchmates to join me next weekend:

"One final paragraph of advice.

Do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am-a reluctant enthusiast...a part time crusader, a half hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land, it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can, while it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: I promise you will outlive the bastards!"

Anyone game?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

u make a very, very compelling argument! :P

--
audi

Krishna said...

:)

Whats up with you, da? Where you now? Working in Bombay wonly na?

Unknown said...

in the words of a very wise hippie, "i am deer, quail, duck, rabbit and salmon in short i am game".

:)

Krishna said...

:) Kray boy! I'm doing great. Just got back to IIT and trying to make plans for the monsoons. Interned in B'lore only this year, so it was a quiet, productive summer. How have you been?

kray said...

:))) 'kray BOY'?!!! bastard! where's the respect these days tchk tchk :P

me same old same old re, abhi on ship... which is still in the vicinity of oz only.. oh btw, what future plans have u? i have a very vague notion i might land up in bangalore this break...

Krishna said...

:) Future plans as in? Will be in Bombay only for the most part of the next year. And if you meant PhD/Job, God knows :)

Anonymous said...

hey earth boy! if only you'd been in campus for summer intern.. had 2 aborted attempts at treks in the 2 weeks that i was there :(

Nikhil said...

I plan to get away too, from this mad mad work thing :(

Dharamsala, McLeodganj..pata nahin kya kya search maar in beech me :D

Vikranth Audi said...

yup - in bombay wonly! 3 weeks into the job - its been pretty good so far. and yes, hypnosis by excel sheets is a very real possibility here! :D

transmogrifier said...

hey,

Nice post. And kray boy and all :O :D
So how goes the final year?

Supriya.

Anirudh Patil said...

oi unibrow!
stop calling us bastard.. you will someday be on this side of the world..
and send trek plans quickly!

Krishna said...

@Hippo: What can I say. Your trekking friends are losers :P

@NCJ: :) Whats up man? Me and Vaibhav were feeling very bored and missing you while watching the games yesterday.

@Audi: Already you speak like this! Tch tch :)

@Supriya: Hey! :) 5th year just started. Little lonelier than usual but still, decent till now. :)

@Bacchax: Yes sir. On their way, not to worry!

Karthik said...

I love this comment as well. I actually have it up on my cube at work.

K