Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Dude-boy Mike

I trek a lot. And in the course of my many treks in the Sahyadris and the Himalayas, I've met a fair share of characters. Take for instance, the time when I was nearing the Bhimashankar peak on a wet, foggy monsoon evening; and asked a fellow-hiker if he happened to know the way to the top. On receiving precise instructions, I enquired as to whether he had been to Bhimashankar before. His answer - 466 times! Or the time when I was huffing and puffing up the Himalayas when I was overtaken by a cyclist. He was on a 22-day cycle trek in the Himalayas. And all this alone! Anyway, I digress.

This is neither the story of my cyclist-friend nor my Bhimashankar-crazy trekking friend, but that of a certain Mike. This summer, Karthik and I desperately wanted to hike in the Grand Canyon. And to do that, we needed to obtain back-country permits from the National Park Ofice. As we waited in the Park Office, with chewed up fingernails and nervous excitement, we began to sketch out a back-up plan. That's when we met Mike. Tall, bald, tanned, muscular and in his mid-60s. Mike knew the Canyon like the back of his hand. In no time, Karthik was pouring over our map and discussing alternative hiking routes with Mike. As luck would have it, we did finally end up getting our permits. So off we went on what was to be a most amazing 2-day hike.

The following evening, we reached the campground (on the banks of the Colorado river!). While I was taking a quick nap, Karthik went off on a little walk when he bumped into Mike. 20 minutes later, he was excitedly telling me about the conversation that they had had.

M: So you guys finally made it! I'm so happy for you.
K: Yeah yeah. And it was sooo worth it! So what are your plans for the next few days?
M: Ah well, tonight, I spend the night at Bright Angel Campground. Tomorrow, I head out on this trail which leads to one of the most beautiful spots in the Canyon. It's a long, tiring 6-hour trail. But at the end of it, I will earn a good night's sleep on a huge rock that juts out into the canyon. And you know, up there, it will just be me and the mice. [chuckle]
K: Wow! You seem to know a lot about the trails around here. How many times have you been to the Grand Canyon?
M: Thrice this month.
K: What?!
M [pulling on his thick stomach muscles]: Gotta stay in shape you know.
K: Hmm..so do you live around these parts?
M: Naa, I live in a tent. [chuckle]

I live in a tent!

Mike's a bachelor. He dislikes crowds. He likes nature. And he loves to hike. So what does he do? He carries a little bag with a tent and some food. And spends his time going around America's numerous National Parks.

Some people trek for an adventure. Some simply trek.

29 comments:

Krishna said...

Thanks Emiliana!

Yeah yeah, dont worry. I've heard from loads of people that it's a good thing :) As long as you have a list of things to do, the elimination process I guess will happen along the way.

Karthik Shekhar said...

wtf! you started blogging too!
Nice :)

Krishna said...

took your advice :D decent timepass it is i guess!

Karthik Shekhar said...

when did I advise you so re?
I myself blog rarely :P..

I think its a bunch of bullcrap myself...

but we're all pigs anyway so its ok that we blog! :)

Maddy said...

Thought you already had a blog! Living in a tent would be nice I s'pose.. if you had company!! Feel up to it next summer?? :P

Unknown said...

hey trekman. cool. nice blog. welcome to the blogsphere! :D

yea I know - my blog template isin't loading coz' the hosting site is down :(
kinda sad coz i wrote a few good entries which you shuld read!

so annyways.. it's a good sign. You still haven't been mugged. You still haven't fallen off the Grand Canyon. I'm beginning to think you might make it back to India in one piece afterall! :P :P Yay!

When you coming re? We r planning trek for late next month - once it starts raining properly in these parts.

I got 3 weeks of internship left :D Then I'm lukkha :D And I'm also the new Staccato convenor now (officially) :D

Chal.. later

PS: I can't check my mail... I call up Baccha and he checks for me!!!

Krishna said...

@ Karthik: LOL!
@ Maddy: Sure. We always have the Gymkhana Grounds to set up tent you know :) We'll do it this MI? It will be super fun :)

Krishna said...

@ sd: :D
i'm only coming end of month re. july 30th types. u fellows enjoy trek before sem starts. we'll do one in august 1st week too!

and congoes abt staccato :)

kray said...

shabash! trek-blogging :D it shud be a fun read if u keep documenting u'r antics on all the treks u go for :)

Krishna said...

@kray: :D i dont know if that's a compliment or an insult :)

kray said...

:)) okay, it was definitely not an insult!

Vinod said...

Krishna! Lukkha researcher bitch! Blog blog. And do you think Mike has an e-mail ID - I want fundaes?

Akshi said...

Hey! good to discover your blog. Wats you upto in NY? Coming down to Richmond anytime?

Krishna said...

@vinod: :D no da, i dont think he carries a laptop in the mountains :)

@akshi: hey! NY is fundoo re. there's actually so much to blog about. just have to find the time. one of these days, i'll be lukkha and will write 3-4 entries. richmond - prolly happening on weekend after july 4th!

Karthik Shekhar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

update blog rey bhai :)

hippo

Krishna said...

haan bey hippo. sorry :) too many things to do here man. no time! anyways, will take wed night off and put 3 entries.

Aparajita Paul said...

hey trekker...this blog is just soo cool....so is trekking ur hobby or a profession?

Sharan said...

"Some people trek for an adventure. Some simply trek." Too much!

Krishna said...

@infektia: thanks:) trekker by hobby but wouldnt mind doing it as a profession!

@sharan: :) god he was!

Unknown said...

Whaat re? Nothing new for a month?

When r u getting back 2 hostel?

My internship's done BTW :)

And also my bro got into IITB :D (Civil Dual tho...)

Anonymous said...

Two twenty-somethings waiting in a National Park office...have you seen brokeback mountain?

ever thought of doing the appalachian mountain trail?

Krishna said...

@emsworth: haven't watched brokeback. context? and yeah, have always wanted to do the appalachian. especially after reading bryson's account of the trail. no time though to do it this summer :( hows family doing in bangalore?

@SD: sorry! will mail.

Anonymous said...

brokeback begins essentially with two guys aged between twenty and twenty-five waiting in a national park office. well, sort of. the consequences are far from fraternal, however.

suya athey is very ill and has been in hospital for some time. thatha is staying with us and extremely worried, paati stays in the hospital or with durai mama. other than that, i guess everything's fine. going to do md/phd?

crazed_mellow said...

hey ludi ... nice posting seen ur blog for the first time ... just put up some stuff new chkl out ... y u coming so late>?????

crazed_mellow said...

no man this is not the song version
this one is just poem ... its basicaly unsingable no meter and all

me and prady have made a like 4 songs in the summers .. only acoustic for now ... waiting for teh music room to be done and then we will add the drums and elec stuf there

Anonymous said...

very eventful blog this is....assal waste fellow ra nuvvu!

btw, trek season has started here in india (went to one near bang, cannot wait to do one near mumbai/pune!)

Keshava said...

dude, you blog as rarely as i do, although you have better excuses.

Shashi said...

what a profound statement to end the post!